As a few of you know, back in November I suddenly and tragically lost my best friend. In May of this year she was supposed to graduate from Herron School of Art and Design with a degree in photography.
To help her memory live on and support future artists, her parents have decided to start a scholarship in her name at Herron.
Here is the link for the crowrdise funding page. Any donations at all, or even just signal boosting it will be greatly appreciated by all of us.
Thank you so much.
- your condom breaks
- you feel a lump on your breast
- your friends are ignoring you
- you’re stranded on an island
- you got rejected by a crush
- you get into a car accident
- you got stung by a bee/wasp
- you got fired from your job
- you’re in an earthquake
- your tattoo gets infected
- your house is on fire
- you’re lost in the woods
- you get arrested abroad
- you get robbed
- your partner cheated on you
- you’re on a ship that’s sinking
- you fall into ice
- you’re stuck in an elevator
- you hit a deer with your car
- you have food poisoning
- your pet passed away
- you fall off of a horse
- you or your friend has alcohol poisoning
- you have toxic shock syndrome
- your house has a gas leak
- learn how to coupon
- how to get free therapy
- clean bathroom tips
- what to do when you can’t pay your bills
- learn time management skillz
- recipes that take 30 minutes or less
- see if you’re paying too much for your cell phone bill
- create a resume
- how to make a doctor’s appointment
- organize your closet
- find the right career
- a list of stress relievers
- how to pick a major
- how to take care of yourself when you’re sick
- things to bring to a doctor’s appointment
- what the hell is a mortgage?
- buying a used car
- how to pick a health insurance plan
- read the news
- leave your childhood traumas behind
- how to quit smoking
- a list of hotlines in a crisis
- what to expect from your first gynecologist appointment
- what to do if you get pulled over by a cop
- things to keep in your car in case of an emergency
We are very excited to announce the launch of Big Bang Press!
Big Bang Press is a small publishing company that will publish original fiction by talented fanfiction authors. If you’re familiar with fanfic, you’ll know that there are A LOT of amazing writers out there, but many of them don’t get a chance to share their original fiction with the world. We plan to publish novels by three writers you may already know: Erin Claiborne (eleveninches), Kady Morrison (gyzym), and Natalie Wilkinson (febricant).
Excerpts from all three novels are available on our website, bigbangpress.org, along with sample art from our cover artists, and general information about Big Bang Press and its authors. The novels can all be pre-ordered in both ebook and hard copy format from our Kickstarter page, which is how we’re funding the publishing costs. There are also a lot of other cool rewards available through Kickstarter, including art prints, exclusive short stories, and the opportunity have any of our authors to write something just for you — including Kady/gyzym offering to finish some of her WIPs!
For this project to succeed, we need to raise $40,000. This pays the authors, the cover artists, the website designer and publishing team, and funds the publishing process itself. For more information on our plans, see our website and Kickstarter page.
You can learn about our selection process on Kickstarter, but for now, here’s the lowdown on our three novels.
"Sixteen year-old Ewan Mao knows one thing for certain: according to prophecy, it’s his destiny to kill the evil tyrant whose dark reign has terrorized Britain. Although he’s just a normal boy, deep down Ewan is confident that he has exactly what it takes to be a hero. But when Ewan’s big moment comes, he freezes. His best friend, the clever and talented Oliver Abrams, defeats the villain for him, and Ewan’s bright future crumbles before his eyes.
Five years later, Oliver has a job as an Unusual in the government’s Serious Magical Crimes Agency, the life he and Ewan always dreamed of. But a routine investigation leads him and his partner, Sophie Stuart, to uncover a dangerous and powerful cult… one that seems to have drawn his former best friend into a plot to end the world.”
A deftly plotted, hysterically funny take on Chosen One narratives, A Hero at the End of the World expertly walks the fine line between satire and sincerity. Its sensitive depiction of a broken friendship and wry take-down of unfairly great expectations will appeal to all readers of modern fantasy.
"Mim Robinson never expected to find herself back on Juniper Lane, the opulent suburban street where she spent one hazy childhood summer, nor to be taken in by her aunt after a nasty break-up. She certainly didn’t expect to find herself striking up a strange, unexpected friendship with the intimidating Nadia Bahjat, the only other twenty-something on the street. But now that she’s here, Mim thinks she might just do anything to stay – no matter the cost.
Meanwhile, Nadia, a professional chef and a perennial disappointment to her parents, has been forced by her father’s illness to return to Barn Ridge, Ohio. Though she loathes her wealthy, seemingly perfect neighbors as much as she always has, she’s increasingly finding her growing friendship with Mim a balm to heal old wounds. But the longer she stays on Juniper Lane, the more she begins to suspect that when it comes to her family, not all is as it seems.”
An innovatively structured queer romance that encompasses both a cutting satire of suburban American life and a nuanced depiction of the psychological aftermath of abuse, Juniper Lane is a moving paean to the freedom of embracing the chaotic uncertainty of adulthood.
"Francis Harding has always been good for one thing: doing what his family tells him. So when his mother asks him to travel across the Atlantic to hunt down his mysteriously vanished sister Catherine, he goes without hesitation, only to find himself an unwelcome shapeshifter in a strange city looking for a woman who may not want to be found.
Without any alternative, he finds himself turning to Jamie Besckei, a slippery but compelling character from the wrong side of the tracks. His particular brand of magic makes Francis’ skin crawl, but it just might help him track down Catherine. As his own magical abilities begin to fail him and his options grow fewer, Francis makes a bargain that binds him to Jamie in ways he never expected, and that will change the course of his life forever.”
A fantasy noir cum psychological thriller set against the backdrop of a grim, quasi-dystopian Europe only a half step away from our own, Savage Creatures is a haunting meditation on the destructive power and vital importance of family that will rivet readers from first page to last.
If you’re interested in any of these books, or want to support a project that gives talented fan writers the attention they deserve, then please share these links, reblog this post, and check out our website! :)
Top 5 Christmas Gifts on Santa’s Nice List
- Early Bird: One short sleeve GLOW Jolly
- Ryan Gosling at your door in a Christmas hat and a short sleeve Jolly
Cost: I don’t really know who to pay for this, but they can pretty much name a price
- The Long Jolly: One long sleeve GLOW Jolly of your choice
- World Peace. Achieved through peace talks, international cooperation, and distressed Christmas themed retro tees. Mostly that last one though, obviously. No one argues with a reindeer delivering a glowing winter skier Jolly, FACT.
Cost: 7 billion Jolly tees. But, you know, if the whole world wanted one then we’d probably do a discount
- Exclusive Jolly Package: Full set of GLOW Jollys hand-delivered at our London Christmas Party with the Jolly team in November, overnight hotel and entry to the Christmas Ideal Home Show with Ice Skating and Champagne with Jolly girls.
Top 5 Christmas Gifts on Santa’s Naughty List
- Jeremy Kyle’s Autobiography: No seriously, that’s a book that genuinely got published. What a time to be alive
Cost: £13.79. I’m not even kidding.
- Friendly Reminder: The knowledge that one day you will die
Cost: Your trust in me - I lied, this reminder isn’t friendly at all. You would not have to put up with this kind of thing if you were on the Nice List.
- Pair of Crocs: The shoes, not the freshwater dwelling tetrapod ‘cause that would be an awesome gift.
Cost: Your self respect.
- Coal. Just coal. That’s it. No frills Coal. What did you expect.
Cost: Do not pass go, do not collect £200. Stop angering Santa.
- The absence of a Jolly tee in your life: You must have done something really awful to deserve this. Maybe you sit on the quiet carriage of the train and then argue loudly on the phone with your girlfriend, but probably you’re just the evil twin. This is a tough punishment. Repent, get a Jolly, and maybe you can redeem yourself.
Cost: Your soul, probably.
Kickstarter: Glow-In-The-Dark Vintage Inspired T-shirts. Get yours now. Right now. What are you doing, stop reading and go get one.
1) REALIZE THAT YOU’RE NEVER GOING TO BE ABLE TO DO EVERYTHING YOU WANT TO DO BEFORE YOU REACH A CERTAIN AGE. IT SIMPLY ISN’T POSSIBLE. NOT EVEN THIS LIST, PROBABLY. THAT’S OKAY.
2) COME TO TERMS WITH THAT FACT
3) TELL PEOPLE WHO TELL YOU OTHERWISE TO SHUT UP, NOT EVERYONE GETS TO HAVE THE SAME CHANCES, NOT EVERYONE HAS THE SAME EXPERIENCES, NOT EVERYONE EVEN WANTS THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE.
4) FIND THE GOALS MOST IMPORTANT TO YOU SPECIFICALLY AND WORK TOWARDS ACHIEVING THOSE GOALS WITHOUT WORRYING ABOUT RUNNING OUT OF TIME
4) DON’T COMPARE YOURSELF TO OTHER PEOPLE WHO ARE DOING THINGS YOU WANT TO DO AT A FASTER PACE OR YOUNGER AGE. YOU AREN’T THEM. THEY AREN’T IMPORTANT.
5) IF YOU DECIDE HALFWAY THROUGH THAT YOU DON’T WANT SOMETHING YOU THOUGHT YOU DID, ALLOW YOURSELF TO CHANGE YOUR MIND.
6) DRINK LOTS OF WATER
7) EAT AS HEALTHILY AS YOU CAN AFFORD
8) GET AS MUCH SLEEP AS YOU CAN
9) LET YOURSELF CRY WHEN YOU NEED TO CRY
10) DON’T JUDGE YOURSELF FOR RELAPSING ON HABITS YOU THOUGHT YOU GREW OUT OF OR GOT BETTER FROM. IT’S NOT STARTING BACK AT SQUARE ONE. IT’S JUST LIFE. YOU’RE OKAY.
11) SPEND AS MUCH TIME AS YOU CAN WITH THE PEOPLE WHO MATTER MOST TO YOU.
12) DON’T LIE TO YOURSELF ABOUT HOW YOU FEEL. IF YOU FEEL TRAPPED ABOUT THINGS, WRITE THEM DOWN IN A DIARY JUST FOR YOU. GIVE YOURSELF THE FREEDOM TO HAVE YOUR OWN OPINIONS REGARDLESS OF WHAT ANYONE ELSE IN YOUR LIFE HAS TO SAY ABOUT ANY OF IT.
13) IF YOU ARE DEPENDENT ON YOUR FAMILY OR SOMEONE ELSE, DON’T BEAT YOURSELF UP ABOUT IT. TIMES ARE HARD. YOU’LL CHANGE IT WHEN YOU CAN.
14) ACCEPT THE FACT THAT YOUR EDUCATION, FORCED UPON, FAILED, OR OTHERWISE, DOES NOT DEFINE YOU. YOU DON’T HAVE TO BE A GENIUS TO BE A GOOD PERSON, AND YOU DON’T HAVE TO KNOW WHAT YOU’RE GONNA DO WITH THE REST OF YOUR WHOLE ENTIRE LIFE RIGHT NOW.
15) LET YOURSELF BE SCARED, JEALOUS, ANGRY, STUPID AND PETULANT NOW AND AGAIN. DON’T WORRY ABOUT WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE, EVERYONE ELSE IS, TOO.
16) DON’T STOP LETTING YOURSELF BELIEVE THAT THINGS CAN AND WILL GET BETTER. THEY MAY NOT GET BETTER BEFORE YOUR 25TH BIRTHDAY, BUT THEY STILL MIGHT, IN THE LONG RUN.
17) MAKE A LIST OF ALL THE THINGS THAT YOU’VE DONE OR THAT YOU ARE THAT MAKE YOU PROUD OF YOURSELF. LOOK AT IT WHEN YOU FEEL LIKE SHIT. IT MAY NOT HELP A LOT, BUT IT’S SOMETHING.
18) LET YOURSELF SAVE UP FOR SOMETHING DUMB. EVEN IF IT’S JUST A DOLLAR EVERY PAYCHECK OR CHANGE YOU FIND ALONG THE SIDEWALK. IT’LL GIVE YOU SOMETHING TO LOOK FORWARD TO.
19) DON’T BE AFRAID TO ASK HELP FROM PEOPLE WILLING TO GIVE IT. THERE’S NO SHAME IN NEEDING A LEG UP SOMETIMES.
20) IF YOU HAVEN’T FALLEN IN LOVE YET, YOU’RE NOT WEIRD. SOMETIMES IT DOESN’T HAPPEN. YOU CAN STILL BE PERFECTLY HAPPY ON YOUR OWN. IF YOU HAVE, GREAT! THAT’S GOOD TOO. DON’T LET THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ARGUMENT MAKE YOU FEEL DUMB EITHER WAY.
21) YOU ARE ALWAYS GOING TO MAKE MISTAKES. LEARN FROM THEM AND MOVE ON AS BEST YOU CAN. IT MAY TAKE A WHILE. THAT’S OKAY.
22) IF YOU WANT TO SING IN THE SHOWER, GO AHEAD. IF YOUR ROOMMATES OR FAMILY MAKE FUN OF YOU FOR IT, THAT’S THEIR IMMATURITY, NOT YOURS.
23) IT’S OKAY TO STILL WANT YOUR MOMMY AND DADDY SOMETIMES. EVEN IF YOU DON’T LET THEM KNOW AND JUST SIT IN YOUR ROOM AND CRY ABOUT IT, THAT’S FINE. ADULTHOOD IS AN ILLUSION. EVERYONE MISSES CHILDHOOD.
24) IF YOU HAVE A JOB THAT MAKES YOU MISERABLE, TRY AND MAKE THE BEST OF IT UNTIL YOU CAN MOVE ON FROM IT. MAYBE THE JOB SUCKS, BUT THE PEOPLE ARE OKAY. MAYBE THE PEOPLE SUCK BUT THE JOB IS FUN. MAYBE BOTH SUCK, BUT YOU’RE MAKING MONEY THAT YOU NEED. BE PROUD OF WHAT YOU’RE ACCOMPLISHING. SO YOU’RE A CASHIER AT MCDONALD’S. THAT’S SOMETHING TO BE PROUD OF. YOU’RE WORKING A REALLY HARD, THANKLESS JOB TO MAKE ENDS MEET. YOU’RE STRONG AND BRAVE ENOUGH TO DEAL WITH IT BECAUSE YOU KNOW YOU HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE. THAT IS SOMETHING TO BE PROUD OF.
25) BLACKLIST THAT ORIGINAL “25 THINGS TO DO BEFORE YOU’RE 25” POST. IT SUCKS. IF YOU DON’T LIKE THIS ONE, BLACKLIST IT, TOO.
If you are even vaguely considering watching NBC’s Hannibal, do it NOW. Soon they will be deciding whether it is picked up for another season, and if you leave it much longer there might not be anything for you to come and watch.
Catch up on the NBC site or Hulu to count towards ratings. Not from the US? Persuade your US friends to watch it. Tell everyone you know.
Tweet Bryan Fuller, tweet NBC, generate excitement - SHOW THEM THAT THEY HAVE A FANBASE. Write NBC a fucking letter if you have to. Imagine if they got a huge flood of letters, saying how much we wanted Hannibal to be picked up for another season?
WATCH HANNIBAL THURSDAYS 10/9c ON NBC
the national discography
The National is an indie rock band formed in Cincinnati, Ohio in 1999 and currently based in Brooklyn, New York. The name of the band was chosen because it “didn’t mean anything” and was “benign and meaningless”.