What are your favourite reincarnation fics? From any fandom :D it's one of my favourite tropes too, hee
It’s the absolute best, but there’s so few fandoms I’m into where it can be used and that’s really disappointing. At the moment, these are the reincarnation fics I love:
- Accidental Memory In The Case Of Death (Merlin) - My favourite reincarnation fic of all time
- Hopeless Wanderer (Merlin)
- The Reincarnation Situation (Merlin)
- Walk With Me (Merlin)
- Now I Will Unsettle The Ground Beneath You (Merlin)
- Little By Little (Merlin)
- Once Again (Merlin)
- Gibraltar May Tumble (Merlin)
- Timing ‘Verse (Merlin)
- They Shall Have Stars (Les Misérables)
- Maybe In Another Universe I Deserve You (Les Misérables)
- & Rain Will Make The Flowers Grow (Les Misérables)
- Soul, Trapped In Canvas (Les Misérables)
COFFEE SHOPS ::: BOOKSHOPS ::: LIBRARIES ::: BAKERIES ::: RESTAURANTS ::: PUBS ::: FLOWER SHOPS ::: TEA ROOMS ::: AND MORE!
The king has returned: A Merlin/Arthur reincarnation fic rec list
Old Love, But In Shapes That Renew And Renew Forever by leopardwritesPeople accept that an old man might live alone. People accept that he might have lost the greatest love he has ever known.
we have the chance to turn the pages over by HalfFizzbinIt doesn’t take Merlin long to figure out that he doesn’t age the same as everyone else.
Hold My Heart Until it Beats by ingberryArthur dies and waits for Albion to need him again. But most of all he waits for Merlin.
Firsts For Everything by bevinkathrynSometimes, people seem to forget, in all this fighting for equal rights, that ‘gay couples’ are just ‘couples’. Merlin and Arthur, and a first-time hundreds of lives in the making.
As a forgotten continent by ca_teDestiny sometimes plays tricks…Merlin and Arthur are born again as brothers. They have been strongly connected since when they were kids, but at a certain point, when they both are teens, something shifts in the balance of their relationship. How will they cope with it? And what will happen when Merlin starts to understand that the recurrent dreams that he has been having since when he was a child are something more than simple dreams? Will they manage to truly find each other in this new lifetime?
Promotion Time: Darling Recs
Hello again! Ok, so Kat and I did a thing. We made a fic rec blog specifically for Arthur and Eames and yes, good. Ok? So, Follow Us!
Arthur/Eames Coffee Shop AU
Arthur’s a corporate lawyer, Eames owns the coffee shop across the street, and all good love stories start with a quadruple shot latte.
The Final Episode of Merlin ever. It’s kind of deafening when you think about it, after the past 12 weeks of liveblogging and ficcing and the whole lot. Even more so when you add up the years of our lives this show has filled in.
But the great thing that the writers did for us, was to contradict that. The story isn’t just over. There’s more. There’s the confirmation that nothing ever truly dies, not the legends, not the magic, not Merlin and Arthur’s stories. I think that that should also be true for this fandom.
So here’s to a fic rec list, of Modern AUs and Reincarnation. Of circles and new beginnings.
Of reasons to keep this fandom alive.
- Spartacus and the Open Taxi Door
- Northern Exposure
- In Your Name
- Kings Don’t Always Need Advice
- Universal Language
- Drastically Redefining Protocol
- Possibly Maybe I’m Falling For You
- We’re a Storm In Somebody Else’s Teacup
- Keep Calm and Carry On
- We’re Lost, It’s Cold, and There’s Dragons Out There
- I Keep Going Over The World We Knew (Over and Over)
- Accidental Memory In Case Of Death
- And You Will Be My Life
- Journey Into The Interior
- The Student Prince
- Destiny That Darkly Hides Us
- In Medias Res
- From The Mouths Of Children Come Truth
- Fourteen Days (And A Morning)
- Arthur and The Real Boy
- Now I Will Unsettle The Ground Beneath You
- It’s Only Time (Why Would I Stop Loving You a Hundred Years From Now)
- Somewhere In Time
You’re probably thinking there are so many more fics that fit into these categories. And there are and they are all brilliant.
The point I’m trying to make is that’s the amazing thing about our fandom, is these two are our biggest tropes and now it’s canon. Merlin (and Arthur most likely) live on now.
And if we’re going to go out at all….why not with one last bang?
First: welcome! Or for some of you, welcome back (hahaha, god why are we like this?).
So, Trek canon. It’s expansive and extensive and there’s the original series (TOS) and the movies and then the subsequent series and then the reboot (AOS) timestream and that’s a lot of shit to manage and a lot of history to navigate. The good news is: you are totally fine ignoring ALLLLLLLL of that other shit and just writing whatever the fuck you want to write. But, if you’re like me, you’re insane, and having been through this already, I thought I would offer you my handy link round-up!
Things Waldorph Finds Useful When Writing a Bazillion Trekfics:
- Warp Drive Calculator. I know it always seems like people are whizzing around, going from Earth to Vulcan in seconds, but this gives you a sense of how long things will actually take. The movies do a lot of hand-waving with this, but it’s good to know. This one has a “Classic” option. Granted, the appearance of Nero probably accelerated tech quite a bit, and Spock!prime certainly did, so you have a lot of wiggle-room here (especially given that it should have taken the Enterprise almost 2 weeks to get to Vulcan, and I’m pretty sure they were there in 6 hours, tops). This chart is also super-handy.
- Star Trek Distances tells you how far away things are from Earth so that you can use the Warp Drive Calculator more easily without digging through memory-alpha.
- Memory-alpha. This is the canon wiki for Trek, and excludes all of the novelizations and add-ons. This is your home base, it has everything you could possibly want as well as external links.
- Memory-beta. This includes all of the novelizations, and sometimes gives you interesting facts like in TOS Winona Kirk gave birth to Jim Kirk after tripping over a pig. It also includes more of the behind-the-scenes facts and data from cut scenes and cast/crew interviews
- Stardates. The Trek universe measures time in stardates, which is nicely non-Earth specific until you realize the calculations are all based on Earth. Anyway, trekguide has both the mathematical breakdown and a calculator. They also explain how the AOS verse calculates stardates the same way the TOS verse did, so you can use their calculator without worrying you’re cocking something up (that might just be me, though).
- micathemineral’s astrophysics guide for trekwriters - easy to understand but super-helpful.
- trekguide has all of the episodes of all of the series, and lists the races involved, the stardate, ships, and some character-notes. Actually extremely handy if you’re AU’ing a TOS episode.
- But, waldorph! Where are all the ladies? No fear! The LJ comm where-no-woman laid out all of the women we see in STXI (and will hopefully be doing the same for this movie).
So yay! You’ve gotten all your resources and your inner-geek is satisfied and you’ve written your fic. Now what? Well, that depends on where you’re posting to. Those of you who post to tumblr, you can ignore this bit! I’m also not going to list EVERY comm here - these are the biggies and they all have links in their user-info to their affiliates. I write Kirk/Spock so I’m giving you the two I use :)
LJ Comms To Post Your Fic To (you can find dreamwidth counterparts for most of these, I just happen to use LJ comms):
- where-no-woman is an LJ comm and the place for all your lady-centric fic. It can be gen, het, femmeslash, but the main character has to be female-identified and, as of right now, it can’t be a genderfuck (so Jane Kirk fics need not apply).
- kirkspock is an LJ comm for that pairing. note: these guys are super-serious about tagging
- kirk-mccoy is a LJ comm for kirk/mccoy (I know, I’m rocking your worlds with these explanations). It
- trek-het (and it’s dreamwidth mirror) is for all your het needs.
- st_reboot is a LJ comm that collects both fic and art, regardless of pairing.
Okay, you don’t want to write, but you do want to read. Or you read a fic ages ago and you’re not sure where it went.
How To Find the Fic You Want to Read:
- st_ficfinder comm on LJ. Read it, want to read it - these guys are AMAZING at finding the fic you mean from really super-vague details.
- star trek (2009) tag (or the Star Trek Alternate Original Series tag) on the AO3 lets you sort by popularity of a fic, pairing, date posted, all that jazz, and is probably the most centralized place to find fics, though when STXI came out not everyone had an AO3 account so there’s a lot of inconsistency about what’s posted where, but that’s life in fandom, so you’re not allowed to complain, okay?
- the ksarchive is an old-school kirk/spock archive. You’ll find some AOS but a lot of TOS fic here, and it’s pretty cool.
- Any of the comms listed above are great places to find fic and/or recs
- crack-enterprise - recs recs recs!
I hope this helps! I’ll probably reblog myself when we get closer to release date, and if you have any questions at all drop me an ask or find me on twitter @waldorph. I also have all the resource links rounded up at my pinboard here, so you can bookmark that if it’s more convenient. So. Go forth, read, write, enjoy, and welcome to the fandom!
I quickly collected these off AO3. They’re all from today or yesterday of course so I needn’t warn you that you will be completely spoiled for the last episode if you read them.
I’m gonna need those later
I’m contemplating getting drunk again while reading these
The reason SAS Captain Arthur Pendragon can’t keep a communications specialist in Team Excalibur because none of them are good enough. And then Lieutenant Merlin Emrys gets assigned to his squad, and Arthur does everything he can to prove that Merlin isn’t good enough, either. Except he is.+
The Hive Mind Poll: 1/10 (and hopefully more)“Now, now. There’s plenty of me to go around,” Merlin said, sounding so damned pleased about it that Arthur wanted to shake him a few times to tell him, that, no, no, under no circumstance was Merlin to even offer, because he was Arthur’s and only Arthur’s, and…
what was the artist au that you mentioned in your tags? it sounds absolutely lovely.
It’s called ‘This Business Of Art’, a Kirk/McCoy AU that I can’t recommend enough.
Long Live Living (If Living Can Be This)
“Cobb’s boots suddenly fill his hazy field of vision. He towers over Arthur like a vengeful god, crouches until his masked face is close enough to kiss and cups his gloved hand against Arthur’s cheek in a parody of comfort. It’s only when Cobb shushes him the way one would a colicky child, does Arthur realize he’s whimpering.
Cobb raises his gun—the stench of gunpowder sickening—and presses the still hot muzzle against Arthur’s forehead.
This is how he dies.”
“Arthur watches him go, the easy lope to the nondescript car, and then he stands on the porch and feels like an idiot, like his heart is trying to thrash out of his chest and go after the Honda vanishing down the road. But he’s sure, in that awful way that people are sure, that he’s doing the right thing, that the only actually stupid decision would have been to leave everything and run away with Eames, to let himself be shelved along with Eames’s books — loved, but sorted away — in Paris, to let himself rely to totally on another person, to burn all his bridges.
This is better, Arthur tells himself. This is the right thing to do.”
Speaking of Presque Vu being among your top 5 favorite fics . . . . What are your top 5 favorite fics? :)
Way to ask the money-question, anon. I like the way you work. I’ll leave Presque Vu off because we already know it’s on the list.